An external hard drive is designed to store significant amounts of various digital data, such as text information, photos, video files, applications, and so on. Thanks to this equipment, you can quickly and easily transfer data from one computer to another without establishing a local network between them. The portability of this device allows you to take it with you on your travels.
Choosing a hard drive is not too difficult, but this first impression is deceptive, since you have to take into account a number of points in order for the device to be as user-friendly as possible.
Main criteria for choosing hard drives
There are a number of important characteristics that experts pay attention to and that you will have to take into account before buying an external hard drive:
- The maximum amount of data stored is completely dependent on the needs of the user. Today, models with a capacity of less than 1 TB are no longer very relevant, especially since flash drives with a capacity of 256 GB and even more can be found on sale. Of course, the capacity of the device will affect its cost, but the price of one gigabyte of memory will decrease;
- The interface version — USB0 is considered quite outdated today, especially considering that its maximum data transfer rate is 480 Mbps, so it is best to purchase products equipped with USB 3.0, which is much faster — it sends information at a speed of 8 Gb / With;
- The amount of RAM on the hard drive, which also affects its performance;
- The build quality of the case — ideally, it should not be purely plastic, it is best if metal or rubber inserts are provided. Thanks to them, the design will turn out to be more resistant to falls, scratches and other surface defects;
- The mass of the device is very important if you plan to take the hard drive with you on the road all the time. On average, such products weigh from 140 to 300 grams, but heavier designs can also be found;
- Protection against moisture and dust will be required if the operation of the equipment will be carried out in harsh conditions. To do this, there are products equipped with certified IPXX protection;
- The reliability of the device is also quite important, it will definitely affect the service life of the product;
- Software that allows you to backup, protect information from unauthorized access.
As you can see, in order to buy a hard drive, you need to take into account many points. We compiled our review based on feedback from users and experts, in addition, the value for money was taken into account. We hope that after studying it you will be able to quickly decide which equipment is right for you.
The best 1TB drives
5. Transcend StoreJet 25M3
The device is placed in a reliable case made of rubberized plastic, which is not afraid of falling even from a great height. The surface of the case is absolutely non-slippery, so it will not slip even from wet hands. It works completely silently, provides high data transfer rates due to the existing USB 3.0 interface. The overall dimensions of this model are very compact. The spindle speed of the drive is as much as 5400 rpm, which also affects the speed of data transfer to and from a personal computer. If you connect the device to a USB 3.0 connector, then its throughput will be 5000 Mbps, when working with USB 2.0 this figure will be much lower — 480 Mbps. The design is quite light — its weight is only 216 grams with overall dimensions of 129.5×82.5×20.5 mm.
The manufacturer guarantees this product for two years. The device is compatible with almost any operating system. The filling is equipped with a three-level protection against all kinds of vibrations, drops, shocks in full compliance with international standards. On the case, you can find a button for automatic data archiving, so the user now does not have to fear that the files saved to this device will be lost. All data is stored on a Samsung Momentus ST1000LM024 drive manufactured by Seagate. When connected, the LED light around the single button starts to glow, moreover, the products do not need to install special drivers or software.
- A very reliable case, well protecting the device from possible shocks, drops and vibrations;
- There is a button that allows you to automatically backup data;
- An energy-saving mode is provided;
- Does not require software installation;
- Hi-Speed USB 3.0 interface;
- Long period of warranty service.
- Compared to other hard drives, the device still seems somewhat large.
Transcend StoreJet 25M3 1TB
4. ADATA HD330
Another rather interesting model, characterized by high speed and a long period of operation. The device is qualitatively protected from possible damage thanks to a special rubberized and silicone contour, although the main part of the body is made of glossy plastic on top and matte on the bottom. Glossy surfaces are quite easily soiled, fingerprints accumulate on them, literally every speck of dust is visible, so it will have to be cleaned regularly. The surface of the silicone contour has small pimples that prevent the device from slipping out of sweaty or wet hands. The device works on the basis of the USB 3.1 interface, which provides high speed data transfer.
Overall dimensions are insignificant — 132.7×88.9×16.2 mm with a mass of 189.8, the size of the internal drive is 2.5 inches in diameter. In the design, the manufacturer has provided shock sensors that, when triggered, will block the rotation of the disc, resuming it after a few seconds. The products are connected to a personal computer like an ordinary flash drive, and you only need to use a USB 3.0 connector, if you plug the plug into a USB 2.0 socket, the device simply does not have enough power, and it starts beeping deafeningly.
- Excellent protection against external influences;
- High data transfer rate;
- Attractive appearance;
- Acceptable cost;
- There is a shock sensor that prevents damage to the disc when dropped;
- Works reliably and transmits information quickly.
- There is a easily soiled surface made of glossy plastic.
ADATA HD330 1TB
3. Silicon Power Stream S03 1TB
One of the best external hard drives with a capacity of less than 1 TB, it has a great design that will highlight the importance of secure data storage. The case has a matte surface, which does not leave fingerprints and other stains, has excellent ergonomics and smooth lines. In the upper corner there is an indicator that allows you to monitor the status of the data transfer. The fact is that the connector on this hard drive is universal and fits both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. With the first type of connection, the red indicator lights up, with the second — blue, which provides additional practicality of this device.
This design is also compatible with the latest generation of USB 3.1, the fastest interface, which makes it possible to back up text information and multimedia files very quickly. Information, if necessary, can be encrypted using the SP Widget application, which operates on the basis of AEES 256-bit encoding technology.
- Excellent reliability;
- Ease of use;
- Rugged housing;
- Compatible with multiple data interfaces.
- Short connection cable.
Silicon Power Stream S03 1TB
2. Transcend StoreJet 25H3P
A fairly easy-to-use model, the filling of which is qualitatively protected from various kinds of damage. The design is placed in a rubberized plastic case, painted in black and purple. The model has an average volume — one terabyte is enough to store documentation, pictures, even videos. The spindle speed is 5400 rpm, the buffer memory of the external hard disk is 8 MB. The design is equipped with the latest generation interface, allowing data transfer at speeds up to 5 Gb / s.
The form factor is standard for such models — 2.5 inches, a button is provided on the case for instant backup of the data contained on the product. The mass of the device is 256 grams, so it is easy to carry it with you all the time. The lower part of the case is embossed, it will not slip even on a polished inclined surface. There is an LED indicator for drive activity and power — it is located around the backup button. All the necessary software is recorded on the drive itself, and it cannot be removed from there. There is the original StoreJet elite application, with which it will be possible to synchronize data and perform cryptographic encryption of information.
- Increased speed of information transfer / copying;
- There is proprietary software;
- Three-year warranty from the opponent;
- Easy to use — no need to install drivers;
- High-quality impact-resistant housing, well resistant to wear.
- Overall dimensions are slightly larger than similar devices with the same volume.
Transcend StoreJet 25H3P 1TB
1. Seagate Expansion 1TB
It has standard overall dimensions, works through a USB 3.0 user interface. The manufacturer is one of the most famous and respected in the world. The products are not too expensive, the kit comes with the hard drive itself and a cable for connecting to a computer. The body is made quite original, has a matte finish, which will not leave fingerprints. LED operation indication, when connected to a personal computer or laptop, it lights up blue.
Powered by USB 3.0 interface, however this hard drive is well compatible with previous generation interfaces. The connection cable, unlike the models already reviewed, has a decent length — 49 cm. It works well on any operating systems from Windows and Lunix. Functions reliably and without errors during the entire service life.
- Very reliable brand;
- Insignificant weight — only 170 grams;
- Beautiful appearance;
- Acceptable price.
- A little noisy during operation;
- The plastic housing may loosen somewhat over time.
Seagate Expansion 1TB
Best 2TB External Hard Drives
3. Transcend StoreJet 25M3C 2TB
Carefully protected from possible physical damage to the gadget, and it has a very reasonable cost. The case is not too large, it is rubberized, not sensitive even in relation to falls from a considerable height. However, for all its strength, the device is not protected from moisture, largely due to the fact that its port for connecting to a personal computer is constantly open. There is a special button on the top of the case that allows you to perform a quick backup through the One Touch Backup application, stored directly in the drive’s memory. There is another built-in program — Transcend Elite, which allows you to perform more detailed backup settings.
The overall dimensions of the device are small — 129.5×80.8×16.1 mm with a mass of only 185 grams, in other words, the hard drive weighs no more than an ordinary smartphone. Impact protection fully complies with the international standard MIL-STD-810G 516.6. The product does not consume too much energy, and after 10 minutes of inactivity it goes into economy mode.
- It works almost silently — in complete silence you can hear a slight buzz;
- High speed reading and writing data;
- Decent workmanship;
- Reliably protected from various physical influences;
- There are several useful applications built into the hard drive memory.
- The model is not protected from water ingress.
Transcend StoreJet 25M3C 2TB
2. Western Digital WD Elements Portable (WDBM) 2 TB
A portable storage device that is equipped with a high-speed USB 3.0 interface, which is easily compatible with the previous generation, albeit at the expense of speed. Products are distinguished by a high level of reliability, increased capacity. Data is transferred quickly, the device has an optimal ratio of price and quality. You can format in the NTFS or FAT 32 file system, depending on which operating system this equipment will have to work with.
Using this drive, you can save any data, duplicate documentation from other computer devices, reliably protecting them from possible loss. A significant amount of storage allows you to save even extensive libraries of multimedia files. The design works almost silently, the spindle speed is 5400 rpm. The external design of the device is made in traditional black color. The case is made of durable plastic with a matte finish. Dust is practically invisible on it, fingerprints do not remain. The surface is rough, so the hard drive will not slip out of your hands or slide on the base. Protection against damage and shock is present, however, it is better to protect this device from falls from a considerable height. The amount of buffer memory here is 8 MB — quite enough for this gadget. Overall dimensions are — 111 mm in length, 82.5 mm in width, 21 mm in thickness with a weight of less than 250 grams.
- Affordable cost with very high quality performance;
- Transfers large amounts of data fairly quickly;
- Interesting design;
- Small overall dimensions.
- It may become slightly warm after prolonged use.
Western Digital WD Elements Portable (WDBM) 2 TB
1. Western Digital My Passport 2TB
This model is one of the best among external hard drives of this size, largely due to the fact that it is able to work with absolutely any operating system that is used in computers today. The only inconvenience in this regard is that it will have to be formatted for this type of OS. In the design of the device, everything is thought out perfectly, so that it looks stylish. One half is covered with glossy type plastic, the other is matte, with beautiful stripes. You should be as careful as possible with the glossy part, as it is easily scratched, scuffed and fingerprints remain on it.
The standard interface is USB 3.0, next to the connection socket there is an LED indicator of the hard disk activity. On the back side there are four rubberized legs that prevent the product from sliding on the table surface. The hard drive can be connected not only to a computer, but also to a TV, game consoles, and so on.
- Convenient to use;
- Reliable design, no backlash.
- Part of the case is easily soiled, there are fingerprints and various scratches on it.
Western Digital My Passport 2TB
The best hard drives from 4TB
2. Western Digital My Passport 4 TB (WDBUAX0040B)
Everything that has been said about the same hard drive with only a capacity of 2 TB is also true for this model. This model was developed a couple of years ago, but it continues to be very popular among users until today. In terms of software, a few useful utilities have been added to the hard drive. The product features 256-bit type hardware encryption that supports the AES algorithm.
If necessary, you can back up data both to the hard drive itself and to a cloud service — Dropbox or Baidu. There is a function that allows you to set the sleep mode, however, in absolute priority, all such moments will only work when connected to a TV. It is possible that the operating system will give its settings a higher priority.
- Despite the rather large data capacity, the device is thin;
- Good reliability.
- The USB controller is soldered to the board, so data recovery will take a lot of time and effort;
- Connector is non-standard.
Western Digital My Passport 4 TB (WDBUAX0040B)
1. Seagate Backup Plus Hub 4TB
The design is quite recognizable — regardless of the capacity of the drive, the device will look the same. The case in the package is placed in a protective film, which protects the product well from scratches. The case itself is made of high-strength plastic, it is not collapsible. It is worth noting that this model does not provide protection against falls, the wide edges have a matte coating, they are non-staining, so dust does not accumulate on them and there are no fingerprints. On one of the side faces is a USB 3.0 connector. There are no buttons on the case, the device starts working immediately after connecting to a personal computer.
The functionality and speed of action, in principle, does not differ at all from competitors’ products. The key difference is in the software. The Seagate Dashboard application is written to the disc. It can be used to back up computer files, provide mobile backup, recover lost data. The application has an intuitive interface, fully Russified, you can figure it out in a couple of minutes. In order to back up data from a mobile device, you will need to install the same application from the AppStore or PlayMarket on it, synchronize the gadget with a computer via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, after which you can proceed with the operation.
- Not too large overall dimensions for such a capacious equipment;
- You can even write backup operating systems here, thereby freeing up space on your laptop or computer;
- Perfect for photographers and videographers, whose even short videos and shots can weigh a lot;
- Several color options.
- Not detected.
Seagate Backup Plus Hub 4TB
We hope that our review will help you choose the right hard drive in terms of both quality and capacity. If you have something to share with other users regarding the purchase of such devices, then you can express your point of view in the comments.